What is Board Breaking?
Board Breaking is a martial arts technique that is used in competition, demonstration and testing. Breaking is an action where a martial artist uses a striking surface to break one or more objects using the skills honed in their art form. The striking surface is usually a hand or a foot, but may also be a fingertip, toe, head, elbow, knuckle, or knee. The most common object is a piece of wood or brick. – Wikipedia
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’
What is Your ‘Barrier’?
One of the main aspects of this board breaking team building experience is focusing on the area of your life both professionally or personally that is a barrier. By writing down that barrier onto your board, whether it is lack of confidence, shyness, emotional, physical or something completely different, it is personal to you. Alongside this participant will sign their boards taking ownership of the barrier written down.
The action of seeing your barrier in front of you, written on your board alongside your name as you prepare to ‘breakthrough it’ helps cements the positive reinforcement required to help you overcome your barrier by literally breaking through it with nothing but your own strength and willpower.
At the beginning of our board-breaking experience, the host, alongside several martial artist instructors will talk about motivation and how to break through your obstacles and the board itself. Participants are invited to write their fears, anger, emotions, barriers on their board.
After the barriers are written on the boards, everyone is invited to step forward and being a short physical warm-up to get themselves ready and in the zone for the task ahead.
Once everyone is ready and warmed up they will split into smaller groups of 5-7 and begin practising by ‘striking’ an instructors palms to ensure they have the correct technique as they prepare for breaking through the barrier.
This combination of identifying their barrier, seeing it in front of them and then smashing it to pieces brings amazing results to people. Watch and enjoy the smiles burst out on people’s faces, loud cheers and massive applause ring around the room. Participants are actively encouraged to keep the boards as a reminder of how powerful they are.
What happens during the Experience?
During this 40-60 minute session, clients can expect:-
- A short motivational talk about winning from a martial arts expert.
- A short physical “warm-up” to get the limbs in peak condition
- Practice board breaking of varying difficulty in small groups (5-7 people)
- Board breaking finale per person
- Clients push limits and break through the IM POSSIBLE
Who Delivers the Experience?
The entire board breaking team-building experience will be led by an accomplished martial artist who will show you not only how to break through your barriers, but how to do it safely.
- Martial artist instructors will be supplied to make the event personalised
- We require a large, cleared space for this activity
- Each participant will complete a Health Disclaimer (before the event as this saves a huge amount of time)
- Our company will need to carry out a risk assessment in this area (albeit at a distance)
- We require a screen and projector for this activity